Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lake Sammamish Triathlon

Ben and I did this sprint tri together (his first, my second) and we both did quite well and had a real good time. It was a very early day... up at 5am and racing at 7. It was overcast and about 63 degrees, the water was about 70 but felt even warmer to me.


Ben went out in the first wave and my wave was right after his. My last couple times swimming in open water were a little rough, due to slowness and fatigue, but I spent the last week at the pool w/ my video cam analyzing and fixing my stroke and I think it helped. I wasn't the fastest out there, but I was comfortable and having fun. The swim was pretty much shoulder to shoulder the whole time with guys in front and behind me, too, which may sound intimidating but I really had fun banging around out there.

As soon as I was out of the water and running back to the transition area, I thought I was going to puke even tho it was only a 1/4 mile swim. This always seems to happen to me... I did not puke tho and made it on my bike and out the shute in decent time.

Then I rode for 14 miles along the lake so it was mostly flat with 2 hills. This is where our Cascade Loop bike tour payed off. Those hills were no match for me and I averaged 20.2 mph according to my speedo. When I came back thru the transition area, I accually passed Ben but didn't even realize it. I was in there for 1:11.8 and Ben was pushing 3 minutes at 2:52.2 - they were almost going to get him to sign a rental agreement.



A couple minutes into the run I could tell I was red lining it, so I started walking. I did this for about 20 seconds before Ben ran by me. Obviously that ended my walk break. It was really cool tho to be able to run together - it was just like in training. We had a great run thru the state park... dirt trail thu tall grass, a little creek, lots of trees. At the end tho I turned it on, leaving Ben, and passing maybe 10 or so guys to finish the 3.4 mile run with a 7.26 mile avg.


Here's the unofficial rankings and times for me and Ben.

Matt Wilson age 34
Place: 71 out of 440 overall, 8th in my division of 24 men ages 30-34
Total time: 1:19:20

Ben Guiney age 39
Place: 117, 19th in his division of ??? ages 35-39
Total time: 1:22:56

No comments: