Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Merry Xmas to Me (from work)


Today at work all 60+ employees got custom engraved iPads. I have to say this is the nicest xmas gift I've received from any place I've worked.
At first when I unwrapped it, I was like "Holy crap, this is sweet!", then I thought "Hey I could sell this for big bucks", then I pondered if I really need another gadget to add to our collection, I mean, I just got the Windows Phone 7 and two months before that, the iPhone, we have two desktops and a laptop... how many ways to surf the web and watch movies do we need?... and then I went back to my original thought "Holy crap, this is sweet!"
So in the holiday spirit of over consumption and materialism, I decided to open it up and keep it (at least for now). A week ago I was celebrating the unistall of iTunes from my computer, but now I had to load it back on :( And now I sit here on the couch w/ Kathleen, she on her laptop and me on my iPad, taking 30 minutes to tap out this blog post... and I have to admit that I'm not totally sure what the benefit of this device is.
It's sort of like a huge iPhone, except that there's no camera and you can't call anyone. It doesn't even have a mic. It could be a major influence in the way I relate to technology, or it could be a big waste of silicon. I'll have to figure that out. Either way, tho, it is one VERY generous gift :) Thanks Work!


3 comments:

The Doctor said...

I got one as a gift as well. Not something I would have shelled out for, but 3 months later, I like it. It's nearly ideal for sitting on the couch and web surfing. I've totally gotten use to the key board and can type workably fast on it now. I am trying to get used to reading books on it (not nearly as good as a Kindle for this) but with the brightness turned way down and instant access to anything, I think it's worth it. You'll probably discover some apps that you'll use as well (example, using it as a remote control for listening to music through your stereo or controlling your Netflix, or reading recipes in the kitchen). I use it way more than my laptop now.

The Doctor said...

Glaringly obvious shortcoming: no Flash, what in the fuck, seriously, Apple?

Dr B said...

Death to Flash!!!! HTML5 is the way!!!! I of all people have not found a way to justify this thing, but both Melissa and I have iPod Touches.