Monday, March 24, 2008

Locating Satellites

That's what the first thing this watch says when you turn it on.



It's a Garmin 305 that is on temp loan from my Aunt. She wants me to figure out how to operate the thing for her... It is a bit unintuitive, lots of menus, but mostly really freaking cool.

So it's a GPS unit and a heart rate monitor and a bunch of other stuff, too. It even tells time. It came in really useful already on my long run (18 miles) last Saturday. I was running w/ the ESR club and they were doing one lap on a loop thru Medina. After that lap was done, I had two more to go, but I hadn't really paid attention where to turn on the first time thru. This watch, however, had kept track of where I had gone and showed me a little map w/ the dotted line and pointed the way for me to go. I love this thing.

Here's something that cracks me up tho. It is huge. It looks like an old pager or garage door opener strapped to your wrist. The product pix supplied by the manufacturer only show the unit from one angle so you can't see it's girth until you've alread bought it.
They have a new unit coming out soon that has the antenna built into the wrist strap so it looks more like a regular watch.

No comments: