Sunday, May 31, 2009

Degenerative Auto-Repair Syndrome


I think I have contracted Degenerative Auto-Repair Syndrome. The older I get, the less I am able (or willing) to do on a car. I used to be able to do almost anything. No challenge was too daunting, no bolt too tight, no axle too greasy. But the last two times I've had my car up on jacks, I've actually backed out and threw in the towel.

Today, I was under the car, taking off the starter and I started thinking that I wasn't totally sure that when I got it off, if I could put the new one on. Then I started thinking about other things that I could be doing, like sitting on the couch eating my leftover meatball sandwich and watching UFC. (the sandwich is in the toaster oven as I am typing this).

And the time before this, I had the car all jacked up to replace the brake pads, I had even gone to the store and bought the pads and then something just clicked. My interest level had dropped to zero and I just stared at the brake discs for a while, lowered the car back down and drove it to the mechanic shop down the hill. And I've changed brakes many times on many cars.

Pretty soon, the only thing I'll be good for is an oil change.

2 comments:

Dr B said...

The problem is that you drive a GM car. I know...I am from Detroit.

Anonymous said...

Hey, oil change at Discount Tire with online coupon is $14.95. Come on, $14.95. I have Trueman Syndrome, spend nothing, do the work yourself, and don't work on my car (well I have done some things but don't anymore.)