Monday, May 11, 2009

SQL City



Microsoft recently asked us (Metia... the place where I work) to make an online business calculator that shows you how purchasing Microsoft's SQL Server product will affect your business. They were thinking maybe we could make some fancy dials and graphs and such, but during my concepting phase, I was struck with the idea to make an actual little business that the user could affect. There would be little people moving around, interacting with eachother, server stacks appearing and disappearing, clouds moving by in the background... We had no idea if we could actually build it, but we were all excited about the idea.

I ended up pitching three concepts to the client. Fortunately, the client picked the concept that I was hoping they would and so I spent the next 88 hours meticulously animating little arms and bodies and fancy buttons and sliders. One of the developers at work hooked up all the back end, staying up till the wee hours of the morning. The final product turned out pretty nice.

I have to say, it is one my favorite projects since I started working here. Can you find me in there? :)
(play w/ the pie chart and add some more employees to the IT Dept)

3 comments:

Dr B said...

Very slick.

Dr B said...

...oh and the plane was a nice addition.

Mom said...

Nice touch: having the overflow of money stacked on the safe. The client will obviously be saving tons of money.

And yes, I see you. That's my boy.