Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Water Pipe Excitement

Earlier this week Kathleen noticed that the washing machine was not working. I deduced that the pipes were frozen, thus restricting water flow to the appliance. So on Wednesday, I was working from home and decided to put a space heater in the laundry room to thaw the pipes. Well, it worked. They thawed and proceeded to fill the wall with water, which pooled up to about an inch or so of standing water, which then spread into half of the garage!

Thankfully I was home! I wet vac'd the water out and had to scrap up a lot of it because it was freezing. I then proceeded to tear the wall open and found the busted pipe. A couple of trips to the hardware store later, I had the new pipe soldered in place and we even did a couple loads of laundry. :)





4 comments:

Pajarrito lindo said...

huh as Shawn and I were pouring warm water into the drum of our washing machine yesterday to unfreeze the pump, I said-- you know I think Matt & Kathleen have a similar set up with their washer/drying in the garage, we should ask them how they avoid this.
Is your garage insulated?

Lydia said...

wow... the power of water and ice!

MattWilsonMD said...

the garage IS insulated, but there is no heat out there. that is the next step - after we add a little more insulation, we will get a heat source out there for those sub-freezing rare occasions.

Dr B said...

Back in Detroit the water pipes busted all the time and we loved it! That's all we had...busted water pipes and ice...and we loved it!