Saturday, June 7, 2008

One Really Hard Commute

My last post was the video on how to fix a flat - I had seen the video last year, but did not re-watch it when I was posting. The day after that post, I rode to work and got a flat on the way in. I could not fix that f'ing thing! It was ridiculous. All I managed to do was loose some skin off my knuckles and get wet and dirty. Finally someone rode by and offered me a new tube. I put it in, pumped it up and was off to work.

Then on the way home I got another god damn flat! And again, I COULD NOT fix it!!! Granted, it was on a seem, so that might have been making it more challenging. So again, I flagged someone down and bought his spare tube off him. And again lost more skin off my knuckles, pinched my hand in the pump, and managed to insert an offending little piece of metal that was inside the tire underneath my finger nail. I was on the side of the road messing with this for about 45 minutes - I just about pitched my bike under a passing bus.

This is what I've learned: Carry a spare tube (not just a patch kit) and carry a CO2 bottle instead of a mini pump unless you like the 5 minute arm workout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before inserting a new tube after the first flat, did you check the inside of the tire to make sure whatever caused the flat was not still imbedded in the tire? That might have been why you had a second. Or just bad luck...