Saturday, December 6, 2008

Wonder Wifey 5K

This morning Kathleen made the longest run of her life at the Wonder Girl 5K.


She has been on a "Couch to 5K" program for the past couple of months and has been really impressing me with her progress and dedication. She has always been a sleepaholic, but has lately been setting the alarm and getting up early to hit the track!

According to Kathleen's running schedule, she was only supposed to run for 20 minutes today, which would have been the longest run to date, but we figured that she should go ahead and do the run today and see what happens. To both of our suprise she and her good friend Carrie both ran the whole thing!!! I am so proud.




The run is intended to promote self esteem and awareness of the benefits of physical fitness for young girls. It was non-competitive and there were no timing chips, so it was perfect for Kathleen's first organized run. They ran at Seward Park and had nice crisp weather with views of the water, mountains and trees.


Kathleen had fun and felt great the whole time and had no injuries. Plus, she walked away with a sense of accomplishment and a new-found excitement - she is officially a RUNNER now. And finally she understands why I keep doing all my "crazy" races.
See honey? See!!?


Kathleen and Carrie at the finish line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I'm so proud of her, too. If I had known, I would have certainly come out to watch the momentous occasion... but luckily it's now commemorated in a blog entry, allowing me to continue my Living-Vicariously lifestyle.

Maybe she'll get real inspired. Then you BOTH can join me in a 60th birthday marathon. Tell Kathleen! That gives her roughly 412 days to build up those miles and become a true addict.